BDO India clocks higher efficiency returns with Microsoft Azure and Power BI
04 July 2019
With the implementation of Goods and Services Tax in India, organizations are compelled to provide transactional-level sales and purchase data to the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN). For organizations to be tax-compliant and efficient, they must visualize data accurately and in a timely manner since it directly affects their financial results. BDO Enable Analytics provides clients with an effective and efficient way to analyze transactional-level data within its Enable GST technology platform. The solution offers insights on sales, purchases, reconciliation issues, mismatches, and allows users to identify trends and anomalies that help them to make data-driven decisions.
Empowering transformation - 70 years on
Any transformation is powered by a strong combination of people, processes and technology working in tandem with each other. BDO India, a member firm of BDO International, continues to empower Indian business owners and tax professionals by playing a key role in augmenting their efficiencies. BDO is a leading professional services organization and a global leader of the mid-tier, providing accounting, tax, and advisory services, employing over 80,000 professionals in more than 162 countries. With presence across 10 strategic cities in India, BDO India is helping organizations leapfrog their financial operations through technology-fueled innovations backed by a highly experienced and skilled workforce.
With subject matter expertise in indirect taxation and techno-functional exposure to business scenarios, BDO India has developed and introduced BDO Enable Analytics, a tool to automate the GST compliance process. It is a cloud-based tax analytics solution that consumes and processes data available from different GST compliance standards.
"Our objective was to provide a services-based analytics solution to control the widening gap between data management and decision-making, using patterns, trends, correlation and prediction, to explore and gather inferences from data in distinct ways."
Kashyap Trivedi: Partner, Technology Services, BDO India
Taxing data for higher returns
The BDO Enable Analytics solution is hosted on Microsoft Azure and takes advantage of the following Azure services:
- Azure Data Services, Azure Cosmos DB, and Azure Data Factory to gather data from various sources across the organization, from the likes of purchase transactions, and sales credits, to be indexed, harmonized, and stored in a single data set for thorough tax analysis. This data further allows data scientists to extract focal points and discrepancies.
- Azure VPN Gateway and Azure ExpressRoute to securely establish a connection with the GST servers and ensure there is no downtime during processing.
BDO Enable Analytics generates a dynamic summary, transactional analysis, compliance analysis, tax liability assessments, invoice mismatch, tax credit analysis, and vendor management. All the data analyzed at the back end morph into interactive visualizations with the help of Microsoft Power BI. This enables tax professionals to break down the data and allows them to empower their business stakeholders with quicker insights.
"The security, flexibility, and interoperability of Azure allows us to unlock value out of the ever-growing data footprint and the same plays up effectively through the Power BI visualizations. This helps our customers experience true business transformation."
Milind Kothari: Managing Partner, BDO India
Debiting data, crediting value
- The Azure portfolio of services helps BDO India automate the entire data extraction and transforms it for easy availability and faster processing. This has ensured that stakeholders save 20 percent of their time towards data consolidation.
- BDO in India has seen a significant reduction in transaction times to the tune of 45 to 90 minutes.
- It aids in minimizing tax risks through early trend predictions, timely tax adjustments with the help of data, and enables organizations to enhance their tax planning.